Soya beans are also known as Soy Beans or Glycine Max. It is a globally important crop for both human and animal consumption. it would interest you to know that soya beans are a nutritional powerhouse rich in protein, fat, calcium, folic acid, and vitamin C. It is super packed with a lot of nutrients. Now, imagine how wonderful the milk extracted from this special bean would do for the body. If you haven’t heard of soya milk before, this is a great opportunity to learn about it. You are just in the right place to learn more about how to make this highly nutritive drink, from the comfort of your home.
Soya bean is regarded as an alternative to many dairy products e.g. soy cheese, soya milk, especially when on a Vegan diet. What I am trying to say is, if you are a vegan, there is absolutely no cause for alarm as soya milk is right for you, as it is gotten from a plant.
Procedure For Making Soya Milk
When I tell you this drink can be easily made, even at the comfort of your home, trust me. Personally, I would recommend two cups of soya beans for a family-size portion. It can always be refrigerated when in excess, so, there is no fear of spoilage nor waste.
Now to the procedure
- Soak the soya beans in water for eight hours, then Dehull. It is worthy of note that, it takes time to wash and separate the soya beans from impurities and the shaft coat.
- Blend the soya beans until it has a smooth texture.
- Sieve out the milky liquid from the blended mix and Boil the milky liquid for fifteen minutes. The soya beans are boiled due to its high phytate content, which is toxic, the boiling helps to remove all forms of toxicity.
- Sugar may be added if preferred
The milk is allowed to cool down or refrigerated, as the choice may be. For extra spicy taste, ginger may be blended with it.
Health Benefits of Soya Milk
- Apart from the fact that it is a very good source of protein, it helps to reduce cholesterol levels.
- It is known to help with obesity and high blood pressure.
- It reduces the risk of cancer (prostate and breast cancer).
- It is known to be an antidepressant. Therefore, it can boost the mood because of its high magnesium content that releases the serotonin hormone in the body, which is an antidepressant for the mind.
- It is high in calcium which helps with bone hardness and strengthening.
It is important to note that soya beans can be taken on its own as a drink or can be added into infant formula. Specific people have allergy for soy products it should not be given to anyone that is allergic